Computer Science for
High School Students
Computer Science (Levels 1 - 2)
For high school students that want to learn the science, theory, and history behind computers - our survey class is a great start! This class introduces students to object-oriented programming using the Java IDE, Arduino Sketch (C/C++), and other syntax based languages used by professional developers. Students will use these languages to complete fun and challenging exercises that emphasize structure, syntax, and algebraic expressions.
Additionally, students will have hands-on opportunities to apply their programming to electronics, microcontrollers, and mini-computers. Instructors will guide students through basic wiring prototypes using breadboards to connect the digital and physical worlds for a tangible learning experience.
Finally, where would we be without the women and men who made modern computing possible? From Ada Lovelace, the first computer programmer, to Steve Jobs, the Apple CEO who brought us the iPhone - students will learn about the often unknown and misunderstood history of computer science.
Level 1 students will:
- Understand algorithms, coordinate systems, data types and structures
- Test computer logic and successfully debug problems
- Evaluate user experience and make improvements based on feedback
- Apply programming language to microcontrollers and electronic components
Level 2 students will:
- Write scripts with proper syntax, libraries, and media objects
- Create data types and functions (operators, parameters, and arguments)
- Understand the difference between compiled and interpreted languages
- Practice writing code using best practices for machine and human understanding
- Apply programming knowledge to create gadgets and applications
Interested in this class? Learn more about our upcoming educational programs by joining our newsletter!